On 27 March 1945, six Sisters moved from their temporary home at Nazareth House, Wynnum, to the new convent in Aspley. As refugees from both their European birthplaces and their adopted home in Papua New Guinea, the Sisters relied on the kindness and generosity of the Brisbane Archdiocese to begin their new life in Australia.
Built as a quaint and humble farmhouse, Raff House served as the first convent for the Holy Spirit Sisters. In later years, it was used to accommodate Sisters arriving from overseas to study English.
At present, Carseldine is our Provincial House and the Community give pastoral support to our Senior Sisters. The original timber structure of Raff House still stands today. Tucked away on the hill behind the aged care facility, it overlooks the sprawling suburban landscape that has since replaced the farmlands it once commanded.
Our active Sisters are involved in many ministries of Pastoral Care including outreach to the homeless; Pastoral Care in the women’s prison; School Chaplain; and voluntary work in the community. Our more senior Sisters offer a caring, supportive presence to all.